Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Off to Ghana with the king, Peggielene Bartels!


I am leaving soon for Ghana with my friend, King Peggy of the Otuam. Perhaps you read about her story in today's Washington Post Metro section.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/15/AR2009091503393.html

It will be a fabulous adventure, probably the most wonderful of my life. In addition to a different culture, religion, and traditions, I will be able to witness firsthand the challenges of a female ruler fighting prejudice and chauvinism.

The Washington Post Magazine will run my article as a cover story some time this winter, and they are sending a photographer for two or three days to capture images of colorful royal ceremonies. And, of course, there will be a book.

So far the only bad news it that I lost my malaria pills. They were so important, life or death important, that I put them in a very special place last week, and I forgot the special place. I had to get more, and insurance won't pay for a second batch if you were dumb enough to lose the first. $240 later, I now have malaria pills.

Well, I have to finish packing and leave for the airport. You can keep in touch with me through the comments section of this blog. I look forward to hearing from you. I am not sure how often I will have internet, but at least once or twice a wekk, I hear. We have to drive to another village an hour away from King Peggy's village.

Eleanor

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Eleanor! I am so excited for you! What an experience. You are an amazing woman doing, seeing and writing about amazing things. I will be thinking of you during your time in Ghana. I was choked up when you said the pails of water (which you will wash with) were carried by children. All my best to "Queen Peggy." I will look forward to reading your book and will pass your blog onto friends. Your writer friend, Sarah Winch

    ReplyDelete