Friday, September 18, 2009

Welcome to Otuam




So here I am in Otuam with the new female king, Peggielene Bartels. Actually I am in Winnaba, a few miles away at an internet cafe with ancient huge computers. There is no running water in Otuam - one of the many things King Peggy wants to fix. For the next month my shower will be pouring a bucket of cold water over my body. I was horrified to learn this last night, when i arrived after 24 hours of traveling, grimy and sweaty. I cried. But I did it, dipping my head straight down in the bucket to get the hair wet first, hoping no microbes would swim into my ears, mouth, or nose. And it actually worked. I felt really clean afterward using only two buckets. I have to bear in mind these buckets are carried from the next village on the backs of children.




We had a council of elders meetin today, outside, as King Peggy presided. There are many issues she must address, as she says again and again, "I have a lot of work to do."




1 comment:

  1. No showers, ugh! But what doesn't kill you makes you stronger--and gives you deeper insight.
    Hang in there!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete